– Two months rooting around the Internet with amateur detectives who are trying to solve the still unsolved Long Island serial killer case.
– Jewish Halloween (AKA Purim) in a blizzard in Boro Park, Brooklyn
– In which I list facts about your new baby’s inner savage (written before I became a dad – and inspired by cat training books…)
– My life as a furniture mover for an auction gallery
– Former Navy dentist, lifelong antiques collector, and Viking descendent
– Traveled around with the man who has brought President Theodore Roosevelt back to life
– short story, the hell of waiting in line
“The Solution Center was one of those places that sold everything–though solutions were its specialty. The checkout line went single file out the center, past the parking lot, past the highway. Everyone had questions like: how to sell weed or how to quit your job or how to rob a bank or how to get pregnant with twins or how to walk in high heels or how to swim or how to zest a lemon or how to write a love song or how to silence a shotgun or how to amputate an arm or…”
I’m thankful for anyone who read anything of mine this year. Thank you. Thank you.
Here’s to the whim of 2017. Here’s to being a dad and a husband. Here’s to us all doing our damnedest to mutate into what Nicholson Baker says of himself: “… a carefree, happy huge shining slimy eyeball of weird wonderment. I can swivel in any direction. Any direction I look, I will find something interesting.”